Immediately after the election of the nominating committee, the PTA president should meet with the committee and refer the committee to the New Jersey PTA Resources Hub's section on Nominating Committees as well as the PTA’s or council’s nominating committee procedure book.
This meeting should address the following topics:
- The president cannot be involved in the nominating committee process or selection of officers.
- The importance of this committee’s ability to hold its own recommendations and have open and frank discussions about individuals being considered for nomination.
- The importance of confidentiality and what confidentiality means.
- Committee calendar. Review dates as it is best to work back from the General Membership Meeting where the elections will be held.
- Officers must be elected prior to the end of the fiscal year to be in compliance with the Local PTA Standing Rules in the months of April, May, or June.
- Dates of local PTA or council membership meetings.
- Date 30 days prior to the membership meeting date when the nominating committee report must be posted.
- Date of NJPTA leadership convention – useful as a training resource for new officers.