Each local PTA or council should have a nominating committee procedure book for use by the committee that includes necessary information.
Here is a list of suggested items to include in the procedure book:
- Date the nominating committee report is due to the local PTA or council members. (“The Nominating Committee shall select one (1) eligible person for each office. The Nominating Committee shall report its slate of nominees immediately to the president, as a courtesy. Thirty days prior to the general membership meeting at which elections are to be held (as provided in Article VI, Section 2 of the bylaws) the members shall be informed of the report of the Nominating Committee.” As provided in your Local PTA Bylaws)
- Dates of PTA events for the year.
- List of active PTA members. (Member rosters can be downloaded from MemberHub.)
- A sample recommendation of nomination form. This form will be used by members to recommend candidates to the nominating committee. (The sample form is at the end of this handbook.)
- Contact information for appropriate field service contact or region director (these individuals may be a resource for the nominating committee).
- Copy of the local PTA’s or council’s standing rules.
- Copy of the Local PTA Bylaws.
- Job descriptions for relevant positions.